Arranging Gas and Electric for your new home
1) Find out who supplies the Gas and Electricity to the property Who to ask: landlord, letting agent, previous occupant or developer. We can also find this out for you if you're stuck.
2) Find out where the meters are located and what electric tariff you're on (single or dual rate?). Take a note of the meter readings or better still take a photo. If you're not sure how to read meters see our guide at the foot of this page.
3) Contact the existing energy supplier When you communicate with them DO NOT give your bank details or agree to a new contract - Just give your meter readings and contact details.
4) Decide if you want to go for a Fixed price or Variable tariff. Variable prices go up and down but you can leave anytime without penalty - Fixed offer you peace of mind with a guaranteed price for your energy - usually 12 months but they can include an early exit penalty. So if you're not staying for long look at variable tariffs.
5) Secure your new energy contract. Log onto our energy price comparison it's completely FREE to use or if you prefer we'll take a look for you.
* If you're moving into a brand new property you'll sometimes be led to believe you have to set up your energy account with the existing supplier appointed by the developer, this isn't the case so please do get in touch and we'll help you sort out the best deal.
Please feel free to get in touch whatever your question.